27th lesson at One's Word

  • Sunday, January 16, 2011
  • Posted by Taka
  • Labels:

I've taken the 27th lesson at One's Word. It was also the 9th lesson by Joy.
I learned these new words in the warm up.

  • genitals - I want to have a boy next time and I started to talk about gender selection. The book I bought for gender selection says wearing trunks is better than wearing briefs to have a boy because getting warm genitals leads to have a girl.
  • superstition - There is a rumor about gender selection which depends on the month of birth. It would be just superstition although there are statistical data which month we could have a boy or a girl. 
  • gastric juice - My wife has been having morning sickness. She sometimes vomits only gastric juice because there is nothing in her stomach.

This is the material we used. We talked about Starbucks logo. There are several expressions I should speak with natural expression. For example, it is better to say 'I am familiar with the third logo.' than 'I know the third logo.' and 'I can recognize what company' instead of 'I can recognize which company's logo'.

  • commemorate - celebrate, elegance
  • poised - a person is more like balance. come from the word poise which means grace, elegance.
  • refurbished - renovate, repair to make it look new.
  • bonehead - a stupid person led to talk about boring. We enjoyed to talk about the difference of the talking style when having a date between Japan and Philippines. During my time boys and girls were apt to be silent, teacher Joy was surprised with this.
  • compelling - I asked if compelling can be used either as positive or negative. It is used both situations.
  • shackles - I asked if shackles can be used both in the situation and for the physical things. Both are O.K.
  • reminiscent - reminding of something
Starbucks can get attention to themselves by changing their logo. But I don't know they can increase the number of new customers and prevent to decrease old customers by changing the logo.

I recognized that there was a essence of marketing strategy in our discussion. What was the great in the class was her lead to consider such theme.

0 comments:

Post a Comment